How much am I paid for tutoring at Spanedea?
As a tutor on Spanedea, you are free to set your own hourly rate. We recommend that you set the rate that you feel will get you maximum number of students/ revenue taking into consideration market rates, your skill levels, your experience and education. Whatever rate you set, Spanedea Service Fee is deducted before making payment to you. The rate you set is termed your Base Rate.
How much is Spanedea Service Fee?
Spanedea Service Fee is 20% of the hourly rate charged by the tutor for the student. For first 40 paid tutoring hours taught by tutor on Spanedea, additional 20% of the hourly rate will be withheld by Spanedea and paid to the tutor as one lumpsum amount after successful completion of 40 paid tutoring hours.
In case you bring any your of existing students to tutor through Spanedea, then for tutoring those students you are NOT charged any Spanedea Service Fee. These students must enroll on (pay fees through) through. As a limited time special offer, Spanedea will give you 5% over your Base Rate for tutoring sessions with these students.
How do I check the status of my application to tutor at Spanedea?
You can check the status of your application on your Spanedea dashboard. ‘Application Pending’ will be displayed till the time your tutor profile gets approved at Spanedea.
It also provides you information on completion of different stages in tutor application process as below.
- Tutor Application Form
- Interview with Tutor Engagement Team
- Technical Check and Demonstration of Virtual Classroom
- Demonstration Classes on Subject selected for tutoring
Can a tutor invite my friends/colleagues who are interested in tutoring at Spanedea?
Yes, of course you can. Just send them the link http:///www.spanedea.com and ask them to register. The qualification process would apply to them as well.
My student has not joined the trial class. What should I do?
In such cases, you should wait for the student to enter the class. If the student joins the class after 5 minutes of the scheduled start time of class, the student is liable for penalties with respect to late comings. If the student doesn’t join the class within 15 minutes of the scheduled start time of class, please leave the class. Please do not forget to provide feedback, through the form sent my Spanedea, about ‘No-Show’ by student. Tutors are paid for ‘No-Show’ by students.
How do tutors get students to tutor?
Thousands of students visit Spanedea every month in search for an online tutor. Students take trial classes with tutors before finalising a tutor for their teaching needs. If a tutor’s profile, hourly fees, schedule etc. meet the requirements set by a student, s/he is invited for a 1-hour trial class with the student. After the trial class, if the student and tutor ‘accept’ each other, then paid tutoring program commences through the Spanedea platform. Tutors are not paid for trial classes.
I am an approved tutor and am not getting any invites for trial classes. What should I do?
Possible reasons for your not getting trial class invites can be:
- The hourly rate quoted by you, and displayed on your profile, is not competitive
- Your ratings are low
- Your profile is not attractive enough for the students
- Trial class invites are going in your spam folder
Please identify the reason and take corrective action accordingly. Contact us if you still have questions.
How do tutors become aware of students’ decision after trial classes?
After every trial class, the student gives her feedback on trial class/ tutor and mentions her decision on whether to proceed with the tutor. Similarly, after every trial class, the tutor also gives feedback on student and mention her decision on whether to proceed with the student or not. If both - student and tutor - ‘accept’ each other, then tutoring program commences. Tutors should not ask students, during trial classes, about this decision. This is against Spanedea’s policy and on breach of this policy, tutor’s registration at Spanedea can be canceled.
Why are trial classes offered to the students?
Trial classes are an opportunity for student and tutor to meet and interact before they mutually decide to commence a tutoring program.
How are trial classes scheduled?
Based upon the criteria set by the student, several tutors are invited for the trial class. Tutors are able to accept these invites from the dashboards. As the student is offered a limited number of slots for trial classes, the tutor acceptance for these invites is subject to the slot still being ‘open’ - if all slots are filled by other tutors - then you will have to wait for the next invite!
How are tutors shortlisted for trial class invite?
Tutors are shortlisted based on various factors such as hourly rate, profile, tutors’ Internet speed etc.
How is the invitation for trial classes sent to the tutors?
The shortlisted tutors are invited for trial class through email and Spanedea dashboard. SMS notification is also sent for the trial class invite. Please log on log on to the dashboard and accept or decline these invites.
How many tutors are invited for the trial class?
Several tutors meeting the criteria set by student are invited for the trial class. As the student is offered a limited number of slots for trial classes, the tutor acceptance for these invites is subject to the slot still being ‘open’ - if all slots are filled by other tutors - then you will have to wait for the next invite!
What can a tutor discuss with a student during the trial class?
During the trial class, a tutor will teach the topics pre-selected by the student. The topic selected by the student is mentioned in the trial class invite. In addition to academics /studies, we encourage tutors to speak about teaching philosophy and style, credentials, experience etc.
Can a tutor discuss fees with a student during the trial class?
Before the trial class starts, the student is informed about the hourly rate of the tutor and that the tutor fees is non-negotiable. This is to ensure transparency in the transactions. Any attempt to negotiate the fees can lead to suspension of tutor’s and/or student’s registration at Spanedea.
Can parents meet the tutor during the trial class?
We strongly recommend the parents (of the student) to interact with the tutor during the trial class.
What are the policies if tutor reschedules / cancel trial class?
Policies for rescheduling/ canceling trial class are as follows:
- If Trial Class is rescheduled or canceled, more than 12 hours in advance before the trial class, then no penalty is a applicable
- If Trial Class is rescheduled or canceled, less than 12 hours but more than 30 minutes before the trial class, tutor will be charged 25% of her hourly rate as penalty.
- If Trial Class is rescheduled or canceled, less than 30 minutes before the trial class or there is No-show by tutor for the trial class, tutor will be charged 100% of her hourly rate as penalty. In this case, Spanedea also has the right to deactivate tutor’s profile from Spanedea or not allocate any more trial classes to tutor for certain time.
Penalties charged for rescheduling/ cancellation are credited to the student’s account after adjusting for the Spanedea Service Fee. Similar policy applies to the students also in case a student reschedules or cancels the class. Statistics on the tutor’s profile will be updated to reflect the instances of reschedulement/ cancellation of trial classes. Class must be rescheduled/ canceled by Tutor through the class schedule displayed on her Spanedea dashboard. Rescheduling/ cancellation through any other method will not be recognised by the Spanedea platform. Penalties will apply based on when is the class schedule updated on the Spanedea dashboard.
What are the policies if tutor comes late for trial class or regular class?
Policies for late coming for trial class or regular class are as follows:
- Tutor must join the class exactly at the scheduled start time for class.
- If the Tutor joins the class after 5 minutes but before 15 minutes of the scheduled class start time, then it will be marked as ‘Late Entry’ in the class.
- If Tutor joins the class after 15 minutes of the scheduled class start time, then it is marked as ‘No-show’ by the tutor. Class is deemed to be rescheduled/ canceled. No-show penalty will apply.
Penalties for late coming are as follows:
- If tutor is late for more than 3 classes but upto 6 classes in a month, then penalty is Rs. 500
- If tutor is late for more than 6 classes in a month, then penalty is Rs. 1,000
Statistics on the tutor’s profile will be updated to reflect the instances of late coming by the tutor. Similar late coming policy applies to the students also.
I am already taking some private/ home tuitions. Can I teach those students through Spanedea?
Yes, you can. It will be beneficial for you to bring your existing students to Spanedea:
- Save commute time and earn more: No more time wastage in commuting. Time saved in commuting can be used to teach more and earn more.
- Enhances Your Profile and chances of getting new students: Tutoring students on Spanedea, gives you more credibility and ratings; bringing your own students adds to your Spanedea credentials. Students/ Parents tend to prefer tutors who are already tutoring on Spanedea, and have a developed track record on Spanedea - in terms of number classes taken, number students taught, ratings received, testimonials received.
- Earn more than your hourly rate: As a limited time special offer, Spanedea will give you 5% over and above what you are charging your existing student for introducing Spanedea to new students. These students must enroll for your tutoring program through Spanedea for this offer to apply.
Does Spanedea have a referral scheme through which I can refer Spanedea to students I know?
Yes, Spanedea has a referral scheme.
- Earn more than your hourly rate: If you refer your existing or new student to Spanedea, then as a limited time special offer, Spanedea will give you 5% over and above what you are charging your existing student for introducing Spanedea to new students. These students must enroll for your tutoring program through Spanedea for this offer to apply.
- Earn more without teaching: If you refer a student who wants a tutor for different exam or subject than what you teach, then you get referral reward.
For more details, please check your dashboard.
How can tutor start/ join a class at Spanedea?
To start a class, login to your Spanedea dashboard and go to ‘My Classes’ and then click on ‘Enter Class’ corresponding to the scheduled class to be started.
I have a scheduled class but I am not able to see the class link on the dashboard. What should I do?
It can be due to one of the following two reasons:
- Class schedule request was not accepted, hence class was not actually scheduled
- Class was scheduled but has been cancelled
To confirm, check the ‘Expired Request’ section in the dashboard.
On joining class, a tutor finds that the student has not joined class yet. What should tutor do?
In such cases, you should wait for your student to enter the class. If your student joins the class after 5 minutes of the scheduled start time of class, your student is liable for penalties with respect to late comings. Such penalties collected from student will be shared with the tutor. If your student doesn’t join the class within 15 minutes of the scheduled start time of class, then you can write a feedback about ‘No-Show’ by student and leave the class. You will be paid for ‘No-Show’ by your student. Please maintain the highest standards of punctuality and strongly encourage your students to adhere to the same.
I have joined my class but due to a technical issue (mic/ speaker not working, slow internet, screen sharing not working etc.) I am unable to continue the class. What should I do?
If problem is not resolvable, inform the student and you can end the class before the scheduled time. In feedback form, indicate the reason for early discontinuation of the class.
What are the policies in case class ends before the scheduled end time due to technical/ uncontrollable reasons?
In such an unfortunate circumstance, you can leave the class and retry after a few minutes. If problem still persists, you can end the class before the scheduled time. In feedback form, indicate the reason for early discontinuation of the class. Tutor will be paid for the actual number of minutes before the class was discontinued.
Can tutor extend the class duration while a live class is in progress?
Yes, tutor can extend the class duration if you need extra time to complete a topic or a lesson. However, you should make sure that you do not have other class scheduled immediately after the class in progress.
I want to know if student is free before sending the class request. What should I do?
You can check student’s availability before sending the class request either through the messaging system or in the previous class.
Can a tutor request her student to send doubts before the class?
Yes, you can. Student can send file to you through file sharing system from her dashboard.
Will sessions be recorded?
Sessions may be recorded for security and evaluation purposes.
Can tutor exchange phone number and email address with student?
No, tutor cannot exchange any personal contact details with student. In the event tutor request or reveals any such information, Spanedea reserves the right to terminate tutor’s Spanedea account and cancel all her classes at Spanedea. The Spanedea dashboard has all communication facilities required to communicate with students for conducting online tutoring. In case you desire any other feature or communication tool please write to academics@Spanedea.net.
What is a tutoring program?
A tutoring program is series of classes offered by tutor on Spanedea to meet the academic goal of the student. Each tutoring program consists of list of chapters, topics and sub-topics to be covered in that program and recommended time to be taken for each topic.
What are the different kind of tutoring programs being offered on Spanedea?
Spanedea offers following types of tutoring programs for various exams:
- Beginners Program offers in-depth coverage of full syllabus for students preparing through self-study. It is a comprehensive program including basics and all levels of problem solving.
- Challengers Program offers full syllabus review and revision for students taking coaching.
- Masters Program offers advanced problem solving of full syllabus for students who have mastered syllabus.
- MYTP (Make your Tutoring Program) is a program in which a student can create a program containing for a subject only for those topics and sub-topics that the student needs. For each topic the student can decide the extent of coverage required - Beginner (in-depth coverage) or Challenger (review and revision coverage).
- Teach Time offers doubt and problem solving for students with specific needs. The student schedules a class with tutor of her choice and informs in advance the topic / agenda for the class to the tutor.
Who decides what tutoring program a student enrolls for?
Tutoring program is selected by a student as per her requirement. Students can select the program either before the trial class or after the trial class while selecting the tutor. A tutor should be able to teach any type of program for subject and exam selected by the tutor in her profile.
Are Spanedea tutoring programs flexible and customisable?
Yes, they are. A defined program acts as a starting point for student and tutor. As program proceeds, a student can change pace of program, add or delete topics, change sequence in which topics are taught etc. in consultation with the tutor. Please note any changes in the number of sessions of the program can lead to change in the fees of the program.
Explain MYTP (Make Your own Tutoring Program)
MYTP is one of the most innovative programs offered by Spanedea. MYTP allows student to create her own unique programs based on
- topics/ sub-topics that student requires
- the depth in which student will like tutor to cover each topic/ sub-topic (Beginner or Challenger)
- in how many weeks the student would like to complete the program
Once a tutoring program is finalized, how are classes scheduled between tutor and students?
At the start of the tutoring program, the tutor decides a weekly class schedule for program based upon the weekly time-availability provided by the student. The weekly schedule thus selected is followed every week for the duration of the Program.
Can a tutor change the weekly schedule for a program?
Yes, a tutor can change the weekly schedule for a program at a later stage if her student agrees to the new schedule.
How can I schedule a class with my student, outside my fixed weekly schedule?
You can send student class scheduling request using your Spanedea dashboard. Your students can either accept or decline the class scheduling request. Your students can also send you a class scheduling request, which you can either accept or decline as per your availability.
Can I reschedule or cancel my pre-scheduled class with students?
We believe in providing our tutors with the ability to control their schedules. Hence, our tutors can reschedule or cancel a class using their Spanedea dashboard. In case a class is cancelled, we recommend to schedule a make-up class so that program end date is not impacted. Please note that cancellations and rescheduling have an impact on your students’ schedules. In additions, cancellation and rescheduling statistics may figure in your profile. Further, cancellations may also cause penalties to apply.
How can tutors reschedule canceled class(es)?
Tutors can send their students class scheduling request using the Spanedea dashboard. Your students can either accept or decline the class scheduling request. Your students can also send you a class scheduling request, which you can either accept or decline as per your availability.
What are the policies if tutor reschedules / cancel regular class?
Policies for rescheduling/ canceling regular classes are as follows:
- If a class is rescheduled or canceled by you, more than 12 hours in advance before the scheduled class start time, then no penalty is imposed.
- If a class is rescheduled or canceled by you, less than 12 hours but more than 30 minutes before the scheduled class start time, then tutor will be charged 25% of her hourly rate as penalty.
- If a class is rescheduled or canceled by you, less than 30 minutes before the scheduled class start time or there is No-show by tutor for the class, then tutor will be charged 100% of her hourly rate as penalty.
Penalty charged for rescheduling/ cancellation is credited to the corresponding students’ account after adjusting for the Spanedea Service Fee. Similar policy applies to the students also in case a student reschedules or cancels the class. Statistics on a tutors’ profile will be updated to reflect the instances of reschedulement/ cancellation of classes by the tutor. Classes must be rescheduled/ canceled by tutors through the class schedule displayed on the Spanedea dashboard. Rescheduling/ cancellation through any other method will not be recognised by the Spanedea platform and penalties will apply based on when the class schedule is updated on the dashboard.
What are the policies if tutor comes late for regular class?
Policies for late coming for a regular class are as follows:
- Tutors must join the class on or before the scheduled start time for class.
- If a tutor joins the class after 5 minutes but within 15 minutes of the scheduled class start time, then it will be marked as ‘Late Entry’ in the class.
- If a tutor joins the class after 15 minutes of the scheduled class start time, then it is marked as ‘No-show’ by the tutor. Class is deemed to be rescheduled/ canceled. No-show penalty will apply.
Penalties for late coming are as follows:
- If a tutor is late for more than 3 classes but upto 6 classes in a month, then penalty is Rs. 500
- If a tutor is late for more than 6 classes in a month, then penalty is Rs. 1,000
Stats on a tutor’s profile will be updated to reflect the instances of late coming by the tutor. Similar late coming policy applies to students also.
How can a tutor contact her students outside classroom for important communication?
The Spanedea dashboard allows tutors to communicate with her students strictly for academic purposes including scheduling classes, providing feedback on progress, sharing class notes. You can send your students messages and receive messages from your students using your Spanedea dashboard.
How can a tutor send class notes/assignments to her student(s)?
The Spanedea dashboard allows tutors to communicate with her student strictly for academic purposes including scheduling classes, providing feedback on progress, sharing class notes. Using your Spanedea dashboard, you can upload class notes or assignments for your students and download questions or homework uploaded by your student(s).
Can tutors communicate with students using email, phone, messenger or any other means?
The Spanedea dashboard has all communication facilities required to communicate with your student for conducting online tutoring. In case you desire any other feature or communication tool please contact us through the form below. You should not contact student through any other method such as personal email, phone,Skype etc. Spanedea has the right to cancel your registration on Spanedea in case of a breach of this policy.
Can I change my Hourly Base Rate? How?
Yes, you can. Please go to your dashboard and edit your profile. Please note that rate change will be applicable only for the new students who enroll with you. Your previous rate will be applicable for students already taking classes with you.
Can tutors take fees directly from students?
No, fees can not be collected directly from student. Students pay fees to Spanedea. The fees paid by students is kept in escrow by Spanedea and is paid to tutors on a periodic basis as the classes are conducted. If fees are sought to be collected directly or collected directly from student then Spanedea reserves the right to terminate students’ and/or tutors’ Spanedea account.
Can fees be negotiated between tutor and student?
No, fees are non-negotiable. This is to ensure transparency in the transactions. Only those tutors are invited for trial class whose hourly rate is within the hourly rate range set by the student. Any attempt to negotiate the fees, for example - during a trial class, can lead to suspension of tutor’s registration at Spanedea.
When do tutors get paid for tutoring sessions?
The fee payable to tutor, net of Spanedea service fee, for the number of tutoring hours at Spanedea in a month is remitted to tutor’s account within first 7 days of the following month, provided proper bank account details are given by the tutor.
How are payments made to the tutor?
Tutors are paid by Direct Deposit based on the bank account details provided after profile is approved.
What are Spanedea’s billing policies?
Tutors are paid and students are charged for the actual number of minutes taught in a class. Class start time is taken as the time when both tutor and student are present in the class. Class end time is taken as the point the time when any one - student or tutor - leaves the class and does not join back in next 5 minutes.
How can tutors check monthly class statements and corresponding payments for the same?
Login to your Spanedea dashboard and go to ‘Statement’ to access your class statements on monthly basis and corresponding payments.
Does Spanedea make payment to the tutor after cutting TDS?
No. Spanedea does not deduct any TDS before making any payment to the tutors. Tutors are liable to make there own income tax payments. Since, there is no TDS deduction, no Form 16 is issued.
Is the hourly Base Rate inclusive of Service Tax?
Yes, the hourly Base Rate quoted by tutor on Spanedea is inclusive of service tax/ any other applicable tax. Tutor is liable to pay service tax/ any other applicable tax on her share of hourly base rate. Spanedea Service Fee charged to the tutor is also inclusive of service tax/ any other applicable tax.
Does tutor need any special software to teach on Spanedea?
Spanedea is designed to be browser based application. So if you have Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome installed you should be ready.
What equipment does tutor require to take classes on Spanedea?
Tutor will require desktop/laptop/tablet, broadband Internet connection, a headset (microphone-speakers combinations), webcam and a digital pen tablet.
What kind of Internet connection does tutor need to take a tutoring session?
Tutors require a broadband Internet connection with minimum download and upload speed of 1 Mbps.
I have lost my password, how can I regenerate it?
To reset your password go to http://www.Spanedea.com/launch/forgot_pass. Enter your email ID registered with Spanedea and then check your inbox for the link to reset your password.
How to verify email address? Why it is important to verify email address?
When you register on Spanedea, you automatically receive an email request to verify your email ID. Follow the instructions given in the email to verify your email ID. Till the time you verify your email ID, you would not be able to schedule or take any class on Spanedea.
Can I edit details in my Spanedea profile? If yes, how?
Yes, for now, please send use the contact us page and drop us a message. Coming soon, you will be able edit details in your Spanedea profile simply by login to your Spanedea dashboard and click on ‘Edit Profile’ to make the changes. Changes in your tutor profile will reflect after approval by Spanedea.